Golden milk sounds kinda strange!! But it is a great anti-inflammatory drink that many actually like to drink. If your mom used a lot of spices growing up it will be easier to drink this warm, tasty drink. We did have some at Turkey Trot this year for people to try. I will also have this at our first class in January when I start back teaching. See our flyer for our classes!! I am going to include some links to buy it already prepared on Amazon as well as adding a couple of recipes that come in different variations. You can use your own spices at home, buy spices in bulk and make up your own mix or buy the mix pre-prepared.
Ingredients (This is one version)
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk — or coconut milk
- 2 teaspoons honey — plus additional to taste (I use whole earth sweetner or you may use stevia)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons almond butter ( have never put in almond butter) can skip this
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon Ground Cinnamon — plus additional for serving
- 1/4 teaspoon Ground Turmeric
- 1/8 teaspoon Ground Ginger
- Optional additions: tiny pinch ground black pepper — ground cardamom, or ground cloves
Combine the milk, honey, almond butter, vanilla extract, cinnamon, turmeric, ginger, and any optional spices in a small saucepan. Heat over medium until warmed through, whisking briskly so that the almond butter does not stick to the bottom and the spices incorporate. Do not let boil. Pour into a mug and sip deeply.
- Leftovers can be stored in an airtight container such as a mason jar in the refrigerator for up to 3 days, so I like to make a double or triple batch, then enjoy it several nights in a row. Reheat on the stove, stirring to recombine the spices and almond butter.