Author Topic: Spring  (Read 10 times)

Dove

• View Profile
Spring
« on: February 19, 2021, 02:52:16 PM »
Hello; My name is Dove Stackhouse and I am going to post regularly about sustainable farming/gardening. I want to learn what you all have been doing and contribute what you want and what I am able. I am a sustainable farmer for 20 yrs. and we have done every kind of marketing you can imagine because the farming landscape or rather customer landscape has been changing a lot over the years. So we started out as a CSA, then farmers mkts, online sales, whole sale , resturant sales and I guess we do a mixture of all of it.
But the thing I want to talk about is spring and one thing that has helped me thru the years especially organizing my time and jobs. That is the Stella Natura Planting Calender. Especially when you are new and you have a million thoughts in your head and you are trying to figure out where to start and be the most effective. This helps with allocating your time and helps you get into a rhythm. The calendar is about planting by the signs as folks around here call it. It is based on the astronomical not the astrological cycles that effect our planet thru the year, it has the alignment of the planets, moon phases, sun phases and the astronomical signs, as they flow thru the month and year. So there are planting days for roots,leaf,flower and days for not planting that are good for maintenance, weeding and other things.
Another thing people stress over is that they can't get everything done. Well you never will and if you try you will burnout early. The garden when it is at it fastest metabolism you will not be able to keep up with it so you must prioritize you jobs and work at an constant pace this maybe slower than many want to do but you will get more done and it will be easier on you. When the garden is sleeping you can catch up on stuff.
Once you do get into a rhythm and you didn't get your seedlings started when you wanted and you feel you are behind sometimes it is better to listen to it because there is usually a reason for it. This year I should have started in the greenhouse in late January but another job has had to get done first so it has been delayed but it has turned out alright because of the cold temps we have had so don't sweat the small stuff. I know farmers who stress out running as fast as they can and I end up in the same spot at the end of it not stressed and following what the land and climate are telling me one it is usually better for the land and always better on my nerves.
With that thought it another year at the races see you out there.