Author Topic: Growing Free Range Chickens for Eggs  (Read 88 times)

breelucas

• View Profile
Growing Free Range Chickens for Eggs
« on: March 25, 2020, 05:33:44 PM »
Hi, I just bought five new baby pullet chickens. I have never raised chickens before, but I want to learn. I have them currently in a big plastic tub with shavings, fresh water and organic chicken starter feed, and a heat lamp. I have an acre outside I will eventually let them roam around on and I have a coop that fits 5-7 chickens. Any suggestions on how to keep them healthy while babies and any extra supplements I should give them? I plan to supplement with organic feed as needed when they are older but want them to mainly be pastured. Any tips on how to help them produce more eggs as well?
Thanks!

Frannie Koe

• Physician
  • Let food by thy medicine!!
    • View Profile
    • Wills Valley Family Medicine
Re: Growing Free Range Chickens for Eggs
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2020, 08:08:33 AM »
Generally their starter feed is all they need. One thing to consider before they are let out to free range in your yard is  their size. Hawks can easily get them so you want them to have protection usually until they are about 5 months old. Even then if you have trees and bushes they can hide under that is also protective as you let them out. That is also when they begin to lay eggs. So you may want to keep them in the coup until then. As they get older there are ways to improve their health with foods other than that bought at the feed store. Scraps can be very good as well as feeding them egg shells. Justin Rhodes has some great information on how to ferment their feed to improve their gut health as well as reduce costs of feed. He is a collaborator on our page. He has lots of free YouTube videos out there you can look at. Hope this helps!!