Author Topic: Trees!!  (Read 305 times)

Frannie Koe

• Physician
  • Let food by thy medicine!!
    • View Profile
    • Wills Valley Family Medicine
Trees!!
« on: May 05, 2019, 12:18:10 PM »
I went to the Mother Earth conference last weekend and learned I had been planting my trees all wrong!  That is likely why they have been dying and not staying alive for more than a couple to a few years at a time!!  The dirtdr.com is a web site to go to to learn how to repair your trees.  He has a formula to help get trees healthy again.  I have dug around several of my healthier trees yesterday.  I will post pictures to my blog as I can't seem to do it here on the forum yet.  Please let me know your experience with your trees.  Last year my new pecan trees had something called galls on them and I found out it was because the trees were stressed.  So hopefully no more galls!! 

Zeb

• Physician
    • View Profile
    • Grateful Akers Farm & Apiary
Re: Trees!!
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2019, 02:15:19 PM »
I'm very interested to hear what you learned. Since buying our property 2yrs ago I've planted over 100 saplings (mostly pine), with about 5-10% 3mo mortality each time I plant. I've been replanting in the same holes when saplings die, and it seems like certain holes/spots trees just don't wont survive in! I've got about 3-5 that I need to replant this fall, so I'd love to learn what you know beforehand. I tried that website, but didn't have any luck...maybe the domain expired?

Except for those pines I referenced above, my biggest trouble keeping young trees alive has been the goats! I've planted quite a few in our pasture, and cattle panel cages around the trees work well for the most part, but every once in a while the goats figure out how to knock them over and demolish young trees. They have even decimated some of my established trees, as they can't get enough of maple tree bark. They will eat a ring all the way around the trunk of the tree if you don't stop them, cutting off vascular supply from the roots to the leaves. I plan to rig up some hardware cloth tree skirts around the surviving maples on my property before it is too late
Farmer | Family Physician
Grateful Akers Farm & Apiary
Tannehill, AL | GratefulAkers.com

Frannie Koe

• Physician
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2019, 11:13:04 AM »
Zeb!  Sorry! I wrote the web site incorrectly.  https://www.dirtdoctor.com/.  Try this!  Then go to library and trees. He has all kinds of info. I am going to use his recipe around me trees this fall. He has a great website.

Frannie Koe

• Physician
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2019, 11:20:30 AM »
We also have goats and are about to put them out to pasture. I have new fences in the area that we will build a food forest by adding trees in the next three months.  I am hoping they cannot get in this area. So far they have not tried to jump any of my fences!! They have not tried to get over any gates either. We are going to start intensive grazing in the spring so we are getting set up to use electric fences. Have you had any experience with your sheep and goats doing this? I am working on how to put in a rotating system that is easy to move daily. I went to a workshop on this as well at the Mother Earth conference in April. My goats did eat the peach bark off til the trees died. We did not get peaches due to bugs and no desire to spray. I found out it is impossible to have organic peaches here in Alabama!  At least pretty non-wormy peaches. I will be posting the Mother Earth conferences on our agroshare page along with other conferences in our area. One is coming up in December in Fairhope, Alabama. If you don't have time I am very willing to share information! 

Zeb

• Physician
    • View Profile
    • Grateful Akers Farm & Apiary
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2019, 06:18:33 AM »
I was VERY interested in starting rotational grazing using movable electric fencing, but ultimately decided that I did not have the time or necessity right now. Currently the number of ruminants that I have grazing 5acres of back pasture is still low enough that I get decent results (animal growth/health along with pasture maintenance/improvement) by just letting them free range. As of this morning, we have 4 goats (pygmy & nigerian dwarf), 6 blackbelly sheep, and 2 donkeys sharing 5acres. We have 4 turkeys & about 40 chickens who also share that space with them, though they consume relatively little vegetation but do wonders for spreading manure & cutting down on flies! At these numbers we have found this arrangement to work really well, though our sheep/goat numbers will probably double in the near future (ewes/dams are pregnant). Though the lambs/kids won't be directly eating pasture, their nursing will increase their mother's pasture consumption. We may end up having to regularly supplement with round bales of hay this winter to keep the mother's udders full (last winter we did fine with just a square bale every few weeks).

My dream is to increase our head of sheep to a few dozen, with 2-3 distinct breeding populations. Though that will have to wait until we have more acreage. At those numbers, I plan to seriously consider rotational grazing and would like to incorporate a mobile chicken coop to follow the flock as they rotate.
Farmer | Family Physician
Grateful Akers Farm & Apiary
Tannehill, AL | GratefulAkers.com

Frannie Koe

• Physician
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2019, 05:06:28 AM »
I currently only have three goats but plan on increasing my flock this next spring by bringing in a male. I have 6-7 acres of pasture on one side of a road and about 5-6 on the other. I was going to move them back and forth but may be better off just splitting a herd up in the future. I have considered sheep but have been unsure yet due to the heat. You are farther south of me and it sounds like yours are doing well. I have a pyrenees who watches over mine instead of donkeys. Our chickens are in a yard but I want to put them out on pasture as well. We have hawks that have picked off my birds and they do well under cover of some trees. Thanks for your input.