Author Topic: Newbie  (Read 319 times)

Zeb

• Physician
    • View Profile
    • Grateful Akers Farm & Apiary
« on: September 14, 2019, 08:52:23 AM »
So excited to find Agroshare, this concept is GREAT! Our society desperately needs communities like this to foster more sustainable lifestyles as our population grows and nature struggles. I'm a Family Medicine intern planning on going into rural primary care, with idealistic visions of a holistic medical practice paying particular attention to mental health. I'm also passionate about small-scale farming and sustainability, but have struggled to find a way to effectively integrate my love for family medicine with my passion for sustainable agriculture. My wife and I have a small "hobby-farm" in Green Pond, AL. We were making decent progress in raising much of our own vegetables and meat, but since starting residency we have had to scale back and rely more on broader society than we like. Nonetheless, our goal is to steadily become more self-sufficient using sustainable and minimal-impact farming practices, and I am so excited to find this community.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2019, 09:18:30 AM by Zeb »
Farmer | Family Physician
Grateful Akers Farm & Apiary
Tannehill, AL | GratefulAkers.com

dredman

• Administrator
  • Webmaster for AgroShare.com
    • View Profile
    • My Web Business
Re: Newbie
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2019, 10:47:54 AM »
After reading your intro, and seeing all your other posts, I determined you are exactly what we need here at Agroshare - a leader.  You clearly have the technical knowledge to lead this community (as evidenced by your posts, this intro, and your signature).  How would you feel about becoming a moderator?  Right now it would only require a few minutes/month of time, and you clearly have an interest in our goals?

My biggest other question is:  How did you find us?

Please let me know how I can help you find what you are looking for, and how I can help you help us grow and succeed?

And most of all, welcome!!
« Last Edit: September 14, 2019, 10:57:00 AM by dredman »

Zeb

• Physician
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2019, 06:42:51 AM »
I'm flattered and would love to help in any capacity that I can!
I've never been a moderator before but absolutely have an interest in yall's stated goals. If you give me a rundown of the basic responsibilities I'll do my best. I can spare at least a few minutes per month at this time. Most weekends I'll have time to log on and participate/moderate, and some weekday mornings I'll have time as well.

I found Agroshare while perusing the Farm/Garden section on Craigslist yesterday ;D
I regularly browse the listings in my area, looking for free or cheap items I can use on the farm. I was curious when I saw the ad for 'Free Sustainable Farming Club', and my interest peaked when I saw a picture of the Rhodes family in the listing.

In regards to helping me help yall grow & succeed, just let me know what you need and I'll see what I can do. I don't want to overcommit, as I don't have a whole lot of spare time right now (residency is brutal). Most of my spare time is spent maintaining the farm, but I'd love to spend some of that time doing what I can to promote sustainable agriculture.

Frannie Koe

• Physician
  • Let food by thy medicine!!
    • View Profile
    • Wills Valley Family Medicine
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2019, 09:37:20 AM »
Zeb, thanks so much for helping us in getting this page up.  Where are you in residency?  Tuscaloosa?  I did my residency there.  I will look up your location. I have dreamt of and been working on doing sustainability with medicine for many years.  I feel like I am doing ok with it all. That is what this page is about, trying to help people who do this with little time among other things!  Please contact me at any time.  I am easy to find.  You are always welcome to come check us out also!! 

Zeb

• Physician
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2019, 05:31:21 AM »
Glad to be of help! Our residency curriculum at Cahaba is longitudinal (as opposed to the traditional block rotation system in Tuscaloosa), so my schedule intensity waxes and wanes week to week. Thus my online presence goes through dry spells (e.g. last few weeks), but this website is welcome respite that I plan to use as much as time permits. There aren't too many people in our field who really get into sustainable agriculture, so I am glad to find somewhere to hold conversations about this stuff!

Frannie Koe

• Physician
  • Let food by thy medicine!!
    • View Profile
    • Wills Valley Family Medicine
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2019, 10:37:24 PM »
I would love to come to your program when I am in Tuscaloosa and talk to the residents!  I may call and speak with Dr. Waits!!  We will look forward to your posts when you are able!!  I totally understand the time issue!  I even have issues on occasion as you might expect!