Author Topic: Raspberries  (Read 186 times)

Frannie Koe

• Physician
  • Let food by thy medicine!!
    • View Profile
    • Wills Valley Family Medicine
Raspberries
« on: September 09, 2019, 07:21:50 AM »
I have been able to grow raspberries for the firs time and they are growing big!  I have had them for two years now.  But I can't seem to tame them easily to keep them clean of weeks.  What do others do to keep their raspberries off the ground and weed free? Or at least make them easier to weed?  We have not gotten any raspberries yet.  Hopefully next year?  We saw some blooms for the first time. Not sure if the birds got the berries or there were none. 

Zeb

• Physician
    • View Profile
    • Grateful Akers Farm & Apiary
Re: Raspberries
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2019, 10:29:27 AM »
We don't have raspberries, but do have a few blackberries. Their thorns make weeding a struggle, and have thus far mostly relied on deep mulch. This isn't very effective for us though, and still end up with bush-choking weeds. To keep them upright we use cattle panel cages (cut a 16' cattle panel into thirds, and bend each into a circle. This keep the bush upright, and also prevents the chickens from destroying new/vulnerable plants (our birds have access to most of the property, including the berry bushes).
Farmer | Family Physician
Grateful Akers Farm & Apiary
Tannehill, AL | GratefulAkers.com

Frannie Koe

• Physician
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2019, 11:01:33 AM »
I guess weeds are always a battle. I am looking to make a food forest in a couple of areas on our 76 acres. I will see if incorporating the berries into the forest will help with the problem. Do you have the trumpet vines/creepers on your property that get into all of the berries? My strawberries were taken over by them. I have a helper now so we may have to go 3-4 times a week to cut all the trumpet vines when ever we see them. 

Zeb

• Physician
    • View Profile
    • Grateful Akers Farm & Apiary
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2019, 06:05:40 AM »
Since most most of my fruit bearing plants are in my pasture, I have found that cages (to keep the goats from eating my productive plants) with copious mulch/woodchips (replaced often) are my best bet to keeping weeds/vines from strangling berry bushes. I am sure there are better methods, but considering the limited time I have available to solve these problems I tend to opt for the lowest-time commitment (yet still effective) method I can find.
Farmer | Family Physician
Grateful Akers Farm & Apiary
Tannehill, AL | GratefulAkers.com

Frannie Koe

• Physician
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2019, 05:00:35 AM »
Thanks for the advice. I was thinking the same thing. I don't have the time either. But I end up hiring my help and Tim will often work the berries when they get too many vines. He does not like it and he seems to think the mulch brings the vines more. The trumpet vines come right through. I believe the vines don't have any competition through the mulch. I figured I need to make it much thicker. I am likely not putting enough. I have a free source of mulch most of the time. I will try to put much more.