Author Topic: Newbie  (Read 402 times)

KeithRedman

• View Profile
« on: May 02, 2019, 03:30:26 PM »
New to the community. Iím trying a food forest on one acre in in Ebro FL and hope to be doing the same in Hilo HI as soon as possible. Looking for large quantities of hardwood chips (40+ yards) near Ebro. Any suggestions?

Frannie Koe

• Physician
  • Let food by thy medicine!!
    • View Profile
    • Wills Valley Family Medicine
Re: Newbie
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2019, 09:53:34 PM »
I am not from your area but in my area I look for saw mills or tree trimmers to get sawdust and chips.  My neighbor has a saw mill and a community close by has one also.  All sawdust is free for the taking.  We also have a wood yard/chip mill nearby that allows free truck loads of bark and chips to help clean up their yard.  You may want to check the yellow pages.  Or google locations near you. I take large garbage bags and often reuse them over and over when getting sawdust from my neighbor.  Let me know if you have any luck.  Do you know about biochar? 

Zeb

• Physician
    • View Profile
    • Grateful Akers Farm & Apiary
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2019, 09:27:32 AM »
If you are near a suburban area, try your luck with GetChipDrop.com. You can add your name to a list of 'free drop points' for tree trimmers. I haven't had any luck in a rural area (not enough trimmers looking for places to drop), but I've heard people closer to the suburbs get loaded up with wood chips on a regular basis. Signing up is free and no junk mail, so it's worth a shot
Farmer | Family Physician
Grateful Akers Farm & Apiary
Tannehill, AL | GratefulAkers.com

Frannie Koe

• Physician
  • Let food by thy medicine!!
    • View Profile
    • Wills Valley Family Medicine
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2019, 10:50:51 AM »
Keith, I want to add a food forest starting this winter to my property. I am hoping to cut down on some maintenance of the land here as well as getting lots of good food.  Let me know how you are doing it.  I will be looking up that to do to get started in the mean time.  We can start a new thread if needed.