Author Topic: How does one afford DPC?  (Read 206 times)

Frannie Koe

• Physician
  • Let food by thy medicine!!
    • View Profile
    • Wills Valley Family Medicine
How does one afford DPC?
« on: October 31, 2019, 07:59:22 AM »
All I can say is that it is going to depend on where one lives as to how easy it is to afford the rental property in their area. I am so fortunate to have a building that is very low rent. I already rent the space for my Wills Valley Family Medicine Clinic. So to start up my DPC clinic I just took a quarter share of the building and made it my new clinic. I do pay rent to WVFM. Our town built the building with a grant so our rent is based on that grant. We started at $800 for 1600 sq ft with guaranteed rent to remain at that price for five years. After five years when the rent went up it only went up $40. I got two sections of the building (3200 sq ft) really quickly for that price as my rent previously 8 years ago through the hospital system was close to $3000/mth and going up $200/mth every year!! That was a no brainer for me! It allowed me to try DPC without any rent to start and then I began to pay $500 a month for rent and utilities. That is pretty much my share of the building. I pay it to the WVFM clinic. I do live in a very small rural town of 900. So they are able to get grants and have low rents. In an urban center you would have to look hard for these types of opportunity. But don't forget if you have a clinic now and you want to convert, going my route by renting out a room in the clinic may be a possibility. We often get creative when we need to!  Please let me know what others are doing for their rental spaces or if you have bought!