Author Topic: raised garden bed vs. in ground  (Read 86 times)

breelucas

• View Profile
raised garden bed vs. in ground
« on: March 27, 2020, 04:45:01 PM »
I have some seeds that I'm growing a plastic mini greenhouse inside and I wanted to know if it is better to grow my vegetables in the ground in my backyard or if a raised wooden garden bed would be better? What are the pro and cons to both?

Frannie Koe

• Physician
  • Let food by thy medicine!!
    • View Profile
    • Wills Valley Family Medicine
Re: raised garden bed vs. in ground
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2020, 08:22:21 AM »
Hey Bree,  I have done both. I begged for raised beds for years and finally got them over the last couple of years. I prefer raised beds for several reasons. One is the ease of working in one bed at a time and being able to organize rotations and clean between the rows/walkways. I also wanted to keep people out of the growing areas/beds so the soil is not compacted. It outlines where exactly not to walk. Tim and I have gardened together and he would roll over my hard worked beds with the tractor and four wheeler when bringing in mulch and hay. Now that does not happen. Weedeating between beds is very easy. Another thing I want to do is put a chicken tractor on each bed in a rotating schedule to til up the soil and the raised bed makes that easier in the rotation scheme. Also, having the frames of the raised beds in place makes it a little easier to use when adding hoops for plastic or garden blankets. I use black pipe for my hoops which is super easy. I also like the looks of my raised beds.

Now, I did put my strawberries in a raised bed on a south facing slope and it was hard to keep it watered well enough. I did lose some of my plants. The other issue with raised beds is the material used to make the beds. Using treated wood puts some copper in the soil and I am not sure if this can be toxic. I have not studied this. I think we did not use treated wood which will disintegrate more quickly. Making the beds is more costly. It also takes time. I am going to use some local rocks and boulders for mine in the future but weeds do get in between these and it is labor intensive to make the beds. I like this kind of work but some may not have the ability to do this. Cinder blocks may have some toxicity as well. But all in all I love my raised beds.

Hanna Y.

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2020, 02:36:03 PM »
I personally like the raised beds better. I have planted my vegetables in raised beds and in ground and they've done really good both ways but the raised beds are easier to maintain and they look nice!!

Frannie Koe

• Physician
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2020, 08:54:06 PM »
I agree with Hanna!

breelucas

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2020, 03:09:14 PM »
Thank you both!  What type of wood (if you use wood for the raised beds) do you prefer? I know they have pre-made kits you can buy online and assemble but I thought it would be easier to make them myself.

Frannie Koe

• Physician
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2020, 08:22:02 PM »
They are probably cheaper to make them yourself. You can use cedar as it will last a long time. You can also use locust from you property if you have some. It  may be hard to find. We have used pine but it can disintegrate pretty quickly. I try not to use treated lumber. I have used very old railroad ties but even when old they may have creosote in them.