New ideias to promote sustainability 2016-09-11T02:20:31+00:00

Welcome to Agroshare Forums Agroshare Forum New ideias to promote sustainability

Tagged: 

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Keymaster
    #81 |

Hi,
    Agroshare was created to provide tools that farmers, suppliers, consumers and everyone else could use in order to help people to live a more sustainable life and also promote sustainability.
    In this topic I would like to discuss about creative ideas on how we could do to help this purpose and also bring more people to be part of our community.
    If you have any good ideas, please share it with us.

Frannie Koe
    Keymaster

I would also like to ask for ideas to come up with sustainable medicine. Our medical system is not currently sustainable as it stands. DPC (direct primary care) is one idea that may improve our health care system. We have got to find ways that don’t involve the government, the Affordable Care Act, Insurance Companies or drug companies. I hope we can get a dialogue going along these lines.

highergroundal
    Participant

In regard to Frannie’s sustainable medicine question, I really feel like the first step is empowering people to take back responsibility for their health. So many just live recklessly and think it’s someone else’s responsibility (a MD) to clean up the mess. However, I believe that the government and healthcare/pharma industries fuel this behavior and like to keep people under their control and dependent. So, changing the mindset will be hard. When people feel a responsibility to achieve and maintain health, sustainability will be possible.

harmony7
    Participant

to promote…getting the word out about this type of forum and website for one..and teaching/mentoring those who are showing more interest now more than ever. It was our son at 20 who brought home the idea of sustainable gardening after an intensive missions training ..it was his fifty year old mom that has run with the idea and is connecting with my community of now farm daughters

Frannie Koe
    Keymaster

Wow, thanks for you input guys!  Spreading the word of ways to live sustainably without a huge amount of pain can really be helpful.  Also just being an example as a 20 year old son was to his mom!!

Clifton
    Participant

I am new to this group. My name is Clif. I could talk all day about the connection and links between health and farming/gardening/nutrition. I don’t really know where to start except that I believe health promotion and disease prevention starts at home. Getting children involved in growing and consuming their own fruits and vegetables. Both of my sons help with sowing seeds, watering, picking the vegetables, etc. Do they enjoy it? Well, no…not really. They perceive it as work for the most part though I try to bring in elements of fun such as participating in cooking or preparing the food (My youngest confesses that his favorite dish to make with our heirloom tomatoes and basil is Insalata Caprese! Hmmm… Maybe it is ‘sinking in’ after all of these years….). I hope they will use these skills and knowledge base well into their adulthood. Does anyone else here involve their children in farming or gardening?

Someone else commented about people behaving recklessly and then expecting others to fix their health problems for them. Not to sound preachy or judgemental, but as a nurse, I have to agree that I see that element sometimes. Once the damage is done, some health conditions cannot be reversed, but with diet and exercise, can be managed or controlled. However, the person has to be willing to accept responsibility and accountability to make those changes. I think of the old saying, “You can lead a horse to water, but you can’t make it drink”. I sometimes rephrase that saying to patients with unrealistic expectations, “I can provide you with all of this healthcare information….what you chose to do with the information I am providing is up to you”

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.